Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [Security] [vendor-sec] [BUG/PATCH/RFC] Oops while completing async USB via usbdevio

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> Which doesn't take very long to arrange. Relying on pids is definitely a
> security problem we don't want to make worse than it already is.

The thing is, the current code is _worse_.

MUCH worse.

And it's worse exactly because it does things really wrong. The suggested
patch then just _continues_ to do things really wrong, and then tries to
paper over the bugs.

Which is why I refuse to apply it. Use a pid and do it right.

If the code cannot be made to use fasync itself, then it can at least be
made to do the same _checks_ that fasync does (easy enough: just save away
uid/euid, and do the same signal checks by hand). Until such a time than
the driver writer sees the light.

		Linus