Re: ipw2200 only works as a module?

Luca wrote:

Keenan Pepper <[email protected]> ha scritto:
With CONFIG_IPW2200=y I get:

ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE

but with CONFIG_IPW2200=m it works fine. If it doesn't work when built into the kernel, why even give people the option?

BTW, a better error message than "Reason -2" would be nice. =)

-2 is -ENOENT (no such file or directory). ipw2000 requests its firmware
using a hotplug event, but when the driver is compiled into the kernel
it gets loaded _before_ the root fs is mounted and of course the hotplug
system and the firmware are not available.

I suggest to stick with modular driver, otherwise you must create an
initrd with hotplug + firmware.

I think I have seen this but in FC3 or FC4. We have had issues with them loading things too soon and then making the driver to fail loading.

Try it with * built in and then once booted to load it. If it works, then is a distro thing. It works for me here in Debian with Y or as a module.

.Alejandro

More on firmware loading here: http://lwn.net/Articles/32997/

Luca