Re: Kernel Compilation Question

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:00:44 +0200, "Woody.Wu" said:
> i got a RedHat box which running a 2.2.x kernel.  since its too old, i
> decided to upgrade it to 2.6.x, but this might involving upgrading of
> gcc, libc and lots of other things.  i don't want to bother to do that
> and think i can build a kernel in another newer system (a slackware
> running 2.6.x) and copy needed stuff over to the old box.  is it
> possible?

If it's a RedHat old enough to include a 2.2 kernel, and you have to ask if
it's doable, I can *guarantee* that you don't have the technical experience
to track down all the little details.  That's a long time ago, and there will
be all sorts of little tiny things (for instance, if you use ipchains, you'll
need to switch to ipfilter instead).

It's possible, but by the time you chase down all the pre-requisites and
co-requisites, you will be better off just actually upgrading to something
more recent - even if you get it to work, you get all the joy the *NEXT* time
you have to make a system change.