S3 Suspend input devices problem with 2.6.12

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out if this is a kernel related problem...the folks
on other lists are divided, so I guess I'll just ask & hope:

I'm running Debian testing on a "whitebox" (unbranded) Centrino laptop with a
855GM chipset. Since kernel 2.6.12, suspend-to-disk (S4) has worked well,
simply using the KDE klaptop applet.

However, suspend-to-ram (S3), which I think most laptop users find very
useful, has proved more difficult. If I simply use the KDE applet or the
regular command, the system resumes with a blank screen - a common problem
with this chipset. I can get around it using vbetool, which reinitialises the
graphics device (there is a handy packaged script called hibernate which
walks you through this); however, the touchpad does not work on resume.
Lately, as I have fiddled with the hibernate settings,  neither does the
keyboard.

Some digging has revealed that somehow the entries in /proc/bus/input have
been shuffled around on resuming, so that the device node once used by the
touchpad (/dev/input/event1) is now handled by the pc-speaker, or the
(non-existent) joystick, or is absent altogether! Leaving the touchpad out in
the cold...regardless of which touchpad driver I use. Reloading the relevant
modules - or even all modules - has no effect.

So, my questions are: why does S3 suspend (and not S4) shuffle the devices
around, and how can it be prevented? I notice that the keyboard and touchpad
are initialized early in the boot process. Is udev involved? Or is there a
better solution?

Thanks,

John O'Hagan

P.S. please CC me