Re: Libata for parallel ATA controllers

On Iau, 2005-09-22 at 22:24 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> built-in error-handling or recovery mechanisms yet.  If a drive
> gets into a "reset me to recover" state, then libata just might
> require a reboot to recover, whereas the IDE subsystem will usually
> try a reset operation at some point.

Or crash.

> Not a problem with modern, mostly bug-free hardware (eg. most SATA),
> but this could be an issue for some PATA interfaces.

The basic error handling in the libata code seems to work as well when I
tested it, if not better because the old PATA code hangs the box on SMP
or pre-empt if you get a DMA timeout and cable changedown due to locking
flaws and also issues an immediate idle in error recovery which seems to
crash some drives for good.

What doesn't work at all is failed cable detect - the speed change down
support simply isn't in libata yet and that turns a downspeed change for
poor cables or cable misdetect into a hang.