Re: Kernel panic during SysRq-b on Alpha

Ivan Kokshaysky <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:42:32PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Wow, never seen that done before.  Does it actually work?  For keyboard,
> > serial console and /proc/sysrq-trigger?
>
> Yes, all of this works for me.
>
> There is another problem on Alpha with 2.6.14-rc kernels, much worse:
> slab.c:index_of() works _only_ when it's really inlined, because of
> __builtin_constant_p() check. It happens to work on other archs
> due to "always_inline" alchemy in compiler.h, but on Alpha we undo
> the "inline" redefinitions as they heavily break our internal stuff.
> So the slab.c blows up very early on boot (at least when compiled
> with gcc3).

hm, you might need to do some special-casing around that function.

> I'd be happy if it is possible to stop global redefining of "inline"
> keywords and just use __attribute__((always_inline)) when needed.
> If not, I don't know how to fix that cleanly.

We did that because gcc 3.3 (iirc) was utterly buggered.  I forget what it
was doing exactly - generating out-of-line copies in various compilation
units, using more stack space as a result.  That workaround shrunk typical
x86 kernels by ~64k.

If recent gcc's have a -fdont-be-so-damn-stupid option we could use that.