Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:18 pm, Jan Dittmer said:
>
>>Sean wrote:

>>>"git pull" is actually simpler in that you don't need to specify a
>>>version.  And it will keep you current with HEAD even between official
>>>releases.
>>
>>$ ketchup 2.6-git
>>
>>and you've the plus of very well defined checkpoints.
>

> Huh?  Have you ever used git?  Not only do you get very well defined
> checkpoints you can instantiate a tree down to any specific commit.  And
> you get the plus of a complete detailed changelog etc.. "git log".
> Really, ketchup doesn't come close to git.

I know, but for multiple people testing daily releases it's much easier to
say -git1 worked -git2 didn't. Sure, for searching the patch `git bisect`
is priceless but for regular testing the -gitx thing comes very handy.
Otherwise you can get a arbitrary intermediate state of linus tree if
you're pulling at the wrong moment. It's actually also faster I suppose
to get one patch than running `git pull` - at least with a cold cache
(it used to be in the 0.1 days of git).
Just my .02,

Jan