Re: Wanted - Recommendation of good motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 X2

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

I'm leaning towards scrappung my Ass motherboard for having a LOT of Linux problems. Looking for a recommendation of what to replace it with.

I want something that is highly Linux frendly and "just works".

The via k8t800 based boards has "just worked" from day 1 for me going back to my socket 754 athlon 64 3000+ which is now fairly old.

As a brdige chipset it's starting to show it's age since it's agp rather than pci-x.

Running Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Needs 4 SATA ports - prefer SATA II
VGA on MB would be nice but not required.
MUST run with 4 gigs of ram. I have Kingston HyperX which should be plenty fast.

I sort of afraid of running machines with 4GB or more of ram without ecc memory, but that could be a personal fetish... at this level that argues in favor of a socket 940 rather than 939.

I'm running Fedora Core 4 on it.
I'm Running Maxtor drives that support NCQ even though the SATA interface is 1.5gb

I don't need raid.

most of the amd64 systems I build are for servers and most of those have tyan mainboards at this point.

I'm sort of fascinated with the asrock/uli chipset mainboards that's floating around but I have actually splurged yet, and I haven't had a uli chipset mainboard since my cyrix 5x86mx 100 died a couple years ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

What out there actually works.