Re: Eradic disk access during reads

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 07:16:46AM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:

> New synonym: eradic=erratic :)

I've noticed from the first mail too :-)

> > Denis' tool seems clearly more suited to analyse your problem.
>
> The problem seems to be a multi-access collision in the queue, which forces a
> ~50% reduction of thruput, which recovers with another multi-access
> collision.  Maybe?!

do you have anything else connected to the same controller ? I've encountered
a problem a long time ago with SATA drives (it was around 2.4.25, with the
beginning of SATA support), where I could not use RAID on my drives because
simultaneous accesses to the drives was not possible. I then realized that
every time I accessed a drive during a read from or a write to another one
would stall. I don't remember if CDROM access caused the same trouble. This
was with a SATA-patched ata-piix driver, but fortunately this is fixed by now.

Regards,
Willy