Re: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts

Hello!

> With the UTF-8 signature, things become much simpler: editors can
> automatically detect presence of the signature, and need no
> language-specific parsing.

I still think that this does solve only a completely insignificant part
of the problem. Given the zillion existing encodings, you are able to identify
UTF-8, leaving you with zillion-1 other encodings you are unable to deal with.

> Probably not literally, as we are not searching for an explanation of
> some phenomenon.

ACK, not literally.

> You are probably suggesting that people dislike the
> feature because they see no need for it (as one poster stated it:
> I don't use UTF-8, so I don't want that feature).

I see a need for a feature which would help identify the charset of the script,
but the patch in question obviously doesn't offer that -- it solves only a single
special case of the problem in a completely non-systematic way. This does not
sound right.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <[email protected]>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"How I need a drink, alcoholic in nature, after the tough chapters involving quantum mechanics!" = \pi