Re: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts

Bodo Eggert wrote:

It should, but as long as old programs are still around, we'll have both and need a marker to distinguish them. Otherwise we'll be stuck with
legacy scripts for a long time.

You don't have markers (although they're defined, see ISO 2022) for your 8-bit encodings, and *THEY'RE THE ONES THAT NEED TO BE DISTINGUISHED.* Flagging UTF-8, especially with the BOM (as opposed to the ISO 2022 signature, <ESC>%G) is pointless in the context, since you still can't distinguish your arbitrary number of legacy encodings.

Oh, yes, and try to stick ISO 2022 signatures in scripts or whatnot, and you can see what current software does with a signature standard that dates back to the 1970's.

	-hpa