Re: best way to access device driver functions

On Sep 16, 2005, at 12:02:59, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
Somebody reported to me that there was some special "optimization" in Linux that interpreted ioctl() function calls without regard to the specific device that was open (gawd I hope not), and that if you used "already-used" function numbers for your device-specific ioctl(), then strange things would occur.

IIRC, that used to be the case, but isn't anymore.

However, the kernel is now LOCKED during an ioctl() call. Older Linux versions didn't lock the kernel. The upshotof this is that if you have some ioctl() function that takes some time, like testing the memory in your board, you will find the system unresponsive during that test! You can unlock the kernel in your ioctl() if this is a problem.

This is *completely* wrong. The kernel used to lock_kernel() for *every* ioctl. Recent changes added locked and unlocked ioctls, such that ioctls that do not need the BKL can ignore it completely. You claimed to have read the code, given this typical Wrongbot statement, I guess I can say for sure that you didn't.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming
  -- C.A.R. Hoare

PS: Use a different email service! Your "I tried to kill it with the above dot" and bullshit apology is worth zilch. A quick calculation shows that over the last month and a half, you have sent 76 or so emails to the list, all of which have contained your useless 663-byte corporate message, meaning you have sent 50K of spam to the list over that time period, which has been distributed to several thousand accounts by vger, resulting in probably over 100MB of spam over that time period. Fix it or use a different email account!

I am not the intended recipient for the following email text. I will destroy all copies of this information, including further copies of it, because I am not the intended recipient of those either. Plonk!
.
I apologize for the following. I tried to kill it with the above dot :

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.