Re: [i386 BOOT CODE] kernel bootable again

Frank Sorenson wrote:

Pascal Bellard wrote:

Hello,

Please find attached a patch to build i386/x86_64 kernel directly
bootable. It may be usefull for rescue floppies and installation
floppies.

Pascal,

In commit f8eeaaf4180334a8e5c3582fe62a5f8176a8c124, build.c has already
changed, and I don't believe it's very compatible with this change.

See
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f8eeaaf4180334a8e5c3582fe62a5f8176a8c124

Also, we'll need to see comments from H. Peter Anvin on this patch.
CC'ing him.

Geometry detection by looking for error returns is fundamentally broken. Way too many non-traditional floppies (USB, IDE...) do not handle this at all, they will return successfully, with the data being the data from a sector from another track, and thus you end up with aliasing and a corrupt boot. You can do it with fingerprinting, but that's complex and error-prone.

In short, this made sense in 1991, but it hasn't made sense for a very long time now. Resurrecting bootsect.S is *NOT* a good idea.

	-hpa