Re: HZ question

Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
Tim Schmielau wrote:

Do you also want to know about CONFIG_PREEMPT, SMP, current load, future
load in order to estimate the delay you want to ask for?

Are not CONFIG_PREEMPT, SMP, and current load, all determinable from
userland anyway? Why not HZ?

And with dynamic HZ?

Do you want
a) The HZ that was used when we booted
b) The HZ that is currently used (say 22, but could be 573 in 0.1s)
c) The MIN HZ (if there is such a thing and it is configured)
   that the kernel will use.
d) The MAX HZ (same) that the kernel will use.

Or do you want USER_HZ?

Or are you after something else entirely.

// Stefan

If dynamic HZ means dynamic timer resolutions I don't want it at all.

I guess the 'terms' John just used, ie timer resolutions, as opposed to
HZ was maybe what I really should have asked for to begin with.

However since they are both bascially the same or at least one derived
from the other......?

Thanks
Mark