RE: new asm-offsets.h patch problems

>>  $ cp arch/ia64/configs/bigsur_defconfig .config
>>  $ yes '' | make oldconfig
>
>You can just do:
>make bigsur_defconfig

I only recently found out about that ... but in some cases I still
want to do something like this as I want to make a small tweak from
some of the standard config files (e.g. delete CONFIG_SMP to do a UP
build based on some of the standard configs).

>>  $ make prepare
>>
>> leaves me with an include/asm-ia64/asm-offsets.h that only has the
>> definition of IA64_TASK_SIZE at 0.
>
>I could reproduce this as well.
>Did you actually look at the output of the compile?

Uh, no.  I guess that would have helped me figure out what was happening.

>It looks like the more comprehensive dependency checking hits you now.
>What happens is that the compilation of asm-offsets.c fails due to
>consistency checks in a few places.
>
>First we have in page.h:
>#error Unsupported page size!
>Because CONFIG_IA64_PAGE_SIZE_4KB (8KB, 16KB, 32KB) is not defined.

Ugh.

>Then next we have in same file:
>include/asm/page.h:162: error: `PAGE_SHIFT' undeclared
>That's because CONFIG__HUGETLB_PAGE is set

Presumably more follow-on from not defining any of the PAGE_SIZE
configs.

>etc etc.
>
>The only real fix is to fix the dependencies or provide
>enough defines in your hack.

More ugh.

>I wonder why so many errors occurs with ia64 but not others.
>Do you have a much different .h files layout?

Apparently we do.

>To give you an indication that this is not mission impossible
>I played a bit with the invloved .h files.
>And since the header files did compile in my case I would say that
>most if not all of the includes are wrong.

Agreed.

>A .h file shall be selfcontained, but not a convinient placeholder
>for including a lot of .h files.
>
>It still leaves of with the original offending IA64_TASK_SIZE,
>but grep did no tell me where task_struct was defined??

It is in include/linux/sched.h

>So I could not try to give that one  spin.
>
>PS. the include of sigframe.h in asm-offsets.c is bad. Please do:
>#include "sigframe.h"

Will fix ... while I'm trying to unravel all the rest of this.

Thanks for all the pointers.

-Tony