Re: [patch 7/7] uml: retry host close() on EINTR

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Paolo 'Blaisorblade' Giarrusso wrote:

> When calling close() on the host, we must retry the operation when we get
> EINTR.

Actually, no.

If close() return EINTR, the file descriptor _will_ have been closed. The
error return just tells you that soem error happened on the file: for
example, in the case of EINTR, the close() may not have flushed all the
pending data synchronously.

Re-doing the close() is the wrong thing to do, since in a threaded
environment, something else might have opened another file, gotten the
same file descriptor, and you now close _another_ file.

(Normally, re-doing the close will just return EBADF, of course).

I'm going to drop this patch, but in case you've ever seen a case where
EINTR actually means that the fd didn't get closed, please holler, and we
need to fix it.

			Linus