Re: 2.6.13 psmouse: problem wheel detection: AlpsPS/2 versus ImPS/2

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:15:46 +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> Unfortunately, the ALPS passthrough doesn't allow for imps/2, only ps/2,
> as far as we know. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find a notebook
> with touchpad, touchpoint, *and* an external port, to try to make it
> work.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200. Like the Latitude of the OP, it has the
DualPoint ALPS and a PS/2 port, so I can help testing, if needed.

I can also get my hands on a 4-button Logitech Trackball (no
scrollwheels or anything, just four buttons), if it can help the
testing.

> I don't think it's possible to have both the ALPS touchpad and an
> external mouse with full functionality. It's one or the other - a
> limitation of the PS/2 protocol, which is designed for one (not three)
> device only

One thing that I noticed under 'the other OS' is that, when an
external PS/2 device is inserted and then disconnected, the 'internal'
ones (keyboard, touchpad) seem to lose sync. It has been some time
since I tried it the last time, so I should probably check again to
see if the extended protocols do work, somehow.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Hic manebimus optime