Re: ncpfs: Connection invalid / Input-/Output Errors

Hi Petr,

Petr Vandrovec schrieb:
> Enable displaying of connection watchdog logouts on the server.  Do not
> use 'intr' mount option.  Do not send KILL signal to the connection
> which is waiting for reply from server.  If you are not sure that your
> network infrastructure is fine, use 'hard' mount option to disable
> timeouts altogether.

well, the thing with KILL signals is something i found after reading
your email. You did write that to another person a while ago. Now i
found that i missed a thing when i looked for differences between the two
server and got a suspicion on my mind. The only real difference between
the two servers is that the one with the problems does run a nagios nrpe
server and some plugins, e.g. to check disk space on the novell disk,
while the other server does not. Now i found that heavy operations on
the filesystem (e.g. stat'ing many small files in a short time) is a
kind of problematic, if you want to do anything else on the filesystem
at the same time. The second process just hangs until the first one
accessing the ncp filesystem is ready with its operation. Well if
nagios pretends to run a check it does send a request to the nrpe
server, which will start a plugin to check what it has to check.
Now the problem is, that the plugin will not return a result until
the timeout (i'm quiet sure that one exists) exceeds. The only
question now is: Does NRPE Server send a SIGKILL to the plugin when time
out exceeds? I'll try that. Maybe the dog lies buried there.

For now: Thanks for your help. I'll try that first and then eventually
the printk-thing.

> Into 'ncp_invalidate_conn()', or better, into its callers.  One is in
> __abort_ncp_connection (invoked for IPX connections when
> __ncpdgram_timeout_proc fires), second is in ncp_do_request (if server
> reports some problem, or if KILL signal is sent to the process).

Ok, thanks.

Greets
Patrick