Re: [RFC] Scheduler hooks to support separate ia64 MCA/INIT stacks

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Keith Owens wrote:

> The new ia64 MCA/INIT handlers[1] (think of them as super NMI) run on
> separate stacks.  99% of the changes for these new handlers is ia64
> only code, however they need a couple of scheduler hooks to support
> these extra stacks.  The complete patch set will be coming through the
> ia64 tree, this RFC covers just the scheduler changes, so they do not
> come as a surprise when the ia64 tree is rolled up.
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=112537827113545&w=2
>     and the following patches.

Thanks that gave a lot of background.

> This patch adds two small hooks that can be safely called from MCA/INIT
> context.  If other architectures want to support NMI on separate stacks
> then they can also use these functions.

Well x86_64 already does this with NMI being setup as ISTs, the difference
is that there we use a register to access current (via PDA/%gs). I might
have missed this in the URL you posted, but how come IA64 can't do this
via r13?

Thanks,
	Zwane