Re: Serial maintainership

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 05:38:43PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-09-08 at 16:52 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > I notice DaveM's taken over serial maintainership.  Please arrange for
> > serial patches to be sent to davem in future, thanks.  (All ARM serial
> > drivers are broken as of Tuesday.)
> >
> > I might take a different view if I at least had a curtious CC: of the
> > patch, which I had already asked akpm to reject.
> >
> > Thanks.  That's another subsystem I don't have to care about anymore.
>
> Please remember to send Linus a patch updating MAINTAINERS if so.

Well, it appears that we're fast approaching meltdown in kernel
land - patches are being applied despite maintainers objection,
maintainers are not being copied with changes in their area, etc.

I might mind less with the occasional slip up if it was occasional,
but it doesn't appear to be anymore - maybe not from my perspective.

This morning Andi Kleen stated:

 "normally he (akpm) asks you before finally sending them off -
  then you can complain again"

I don't appear to be asked by akpm - patches from -mm are sent
to Linus CC'd me, and that occurs during the night.  Come the
morning, they're in Linus tree so unless one is awake reading
email 24 hours a day, it's impossible to "complain again".

Is there a concerted effort to maintainers?  It certainly seems
so from my perspective.

---
Paranoia, n.
   1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution
      with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent
      logic and reason.
   2. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core