Re: [patch] synclink.c compiler optimiation fix

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
The structure is in ioremaped memory so you must
use reads/writes to access them instead.

Yes, using read/write eliminates the compiler optimization
and makes the driver portable to other architectures.
That change is much more extensive, and it may be
a while before I can do a major rewrite of the driver.
The volatile change allows the existing driver to work.

> volatile usage in drivers
is never okay - if you are accessing I/O memory you need to use
proper acessors, if it is normal memory and you want atomic sematics
you need to use the atomic_t type and the operators defined on it.

This is not a matter of atomicity.
It is a matter of hardware DMA causing the
value to change without the compiler's knowledge.

If I have a DMA descriptor in normal memory (not the
case in the above driver, but it is the case in
another driver I maintain) that has fields that
do not conform to atomic_t, using volatile seems
a valid way of preventing the compiler from
optimizing access to the field out of a loop.

--
Paul Fulghum
Microgate Systems, Ltd.