Re: How to find out kernel stack over flow?

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:17:16PM -0700, nazim khan wrote:
> Thanks Michal for your response,
>
> I forgot to mention that I am using linux 2.4.26,
> and STACKOVERFLOW option is not available here.
>
> regards,
> Nazim

It shouldn't be a difficult thing to hand-edit in (or at least an approximation
thereof).  Its really just a comparison of the current stack pointer in relation
to the current task_struct preformed in the do_IRQ function (so that it check
stack depth on interrupts).

Alternative to this method, or the netdump method I mentioned earlier.  If you
have some idea of which function(s) you are likely to be executing when the
stack overflows, you can also use -finstrument-functions as a finer grained
approach to detecting the problem.

Regards
Neil

> --- Michal Schmidt <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > nazim khan wrote:
> > > I suspect that one of my module that I am
> > inserting in
> > > the kernel may be causing the stack overflow which
> > is
> > > leading to kernel crash (may because it is
> > corrupting
> > > some one lese memory).
> > >
> > > How can I find this out?
> >
> > You could enable CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW.
> > If you showed us your module's source code, someone
> > might see the bug.
> >
> > Michal

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer