Re: How to find out kernel stack over flow?

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:18:13AM +0200, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> nazim khan wrote:
> >I suspect that one of my module that I am inserting in
> >the kernel may be causing the stack overflow which is
> >leading to kernel crash (may because it is corrupting
> >some one lese memory).
> >
> >How can I find this out?
>
> You could enable CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW.
> If you showed us your module's source code, someone might see the bug.
>
> Michal
> -

Additionally, if you have netconsole/netdump set up, you can examine the
resultant core file with the crash utility to find telltale signs of an
overflow.  Nominally a stack overflow results in the corruption of data at the
end of a neighboring task_struct.

Regards
Neil

 *Neil Horman