Re: 2.6.13 (was 2.6.11.11) and rsync oops (SATA or NFS related?)

Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

Hi, there.
Long time no posting - didn't have kernel problems for long time :-)

That is why I am still running 2.6.11.11 (2.6.12 elsewhere). Will move
to 2.6.13 soon.

Yesterday just bought a new SATAII drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
ST3300831AS) and while trying to rsync some data from the old drives the
rsync process died with segfault. My SiI3112 controller is not SATAII,
but it should work in SATA mode, have another drive for year+. Looking
at the dmesg I saw 3 oopses (see the shortened .dmesg file). Run the
ksymoops and got some output (see .ksymoops.bz2).

Although it does not seem very related to the drive, that is the only
recent change in hardware, in software: udev . The machine (MB: A7V8X
Deluxe) was working stable for 6 months with a few restarts.

As far as reproducibility goes, apart from those 3 oopses everything is
OK, didn't even have to restart and am now continuing to rsync some
200GB more.

Any ideas as to what caused this?

OK, I upgraded to the latest 2.6.13 kernel and still got (similar?) oops.

Looking again at it it might be NFS (using v4 recently) related.

After stopping nfs (both v3 and v4) and rebooting, I could finish the required 170GB rsync without more oopses. But I am still not convinced whether this is a nfs issue or just I am being lucky this time. Will keep on eye on the machine and report here again.

Kalin.

/ When nobody answers, try answering yourself :-| /

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+