re: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS

--- Sean <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, September 4, 2005 11:41 pm, Alex Davis said:
>
> > It will never be 'appropriate' if the system doesn't somehow work on Joe's
> > hardware. We currently have something that works. In my opinion it's
> > pointless to take that away. The manufacturers will still stone-wall us
> > regardless of ndiswrapper's existence. They were doing it before ndis-
> > wrapper existed.
>
> There are lots and lots of systems where Linux works.  Encouraging users
> to buy hardware that works with Linux, can only help.  Encouraging them
> that it doesn't matter and that binary-only drivers are a good
> alternative, can only hurt.
>
> > Please explain how Linux can be an 'important force' if people can't
> > use it? Wireless networking is very important to people.
>
> Lots of people can and do use Linux without ANY binary drivers.   There
> are Wireless choices that don't require binary only drivers.
What if you don't have a choice? When someone comes to me with their laptop
containing a built-in wireless card not natively supported by Linux, am I
supposed to tell them "go buy a Linux-supported card" when there's a way
I can make their existing card work? I don't think so.

> > Um, ever hear of 'compromise'?? All I'm saying is let people use what
> > currently works until we can get an open-source solution. Ndiswrapper's
> > existence is not stopping you (or anyone else) from pestering
> > manufacturers
> > for spec's and writing drivers. I look at ndiswrapper as a stop-gap
> > solution.
> > Hey, even Linus himself has said 'better a sub-optimal solution than no
> > solution'.
>
> Nobody is stopping anyone from using what "currently works", there will be
> lots of like minded people to provide crap kernels and shitty binary
> drivers to people who don't know better.
>  So don't worry, your well
> intentioned vision of the future will survive the removal of 8K stacks
> from the kernel.

> Regards,
> Sean

I code, therefore I am