Re: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 06:30:29PM -0700, Alex Davis wrote:
> >The NdisWrapper FAQ already tells you that you need a patch for some of
> >the binary-only Windows drivers that require more than 8kB stacks.
> >
> >And the fact that NdisWrapper is mostly working hinders the development
> >of open source drivers for this hardware.
>
> If the hardware manufacturer won't give you the spec's then writing a driver
> is going to be pretty difficult, if not impossible. Reverse-engineering
> may be possible, but still....
>
> I believe it's the lack of spec's, rather than the existence of ndiswrapper
> and driverloader, that hinder driver development.

How do you put pressure on hardware manufacturers for getting them to
release the specs?

If they are able to write "supported by Linux" on their products anyway
because there's a driver that runs under NdisWrapper?

Or if people return/don't buy the hardware because of missing Linux
support reducing the revenue of the hardware manufacturer by some $$ ?

> -Alex

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.