Re: reboot vs poweroff

"Brown, Len" <[email protected]> writes:

>>Patch tested and works fine here. You should probably make a
>>note in the bugzilla so we don't get a conflicting merge
>>from the ACPI folks.
>
> One might also consider that it would be a good idea to
> send patches that break ACPI files to the ACPI maintainer
> and [email protected] before sending them
> to Linus...

My apologies, for bug fixes that are not complete and simply move
where the bug is.  My apologies also for not cc'ing you, I didn't
intend to omit you but it never occurred to me.  The patch was
also 2 lines and obviously correct.

For this round I knew you were on the CC list and deliberately included
you.

My goal for the reboot/halt/suspend/kexec path is to fix it so the
generic code is correct and consistent.  Something it hasn't been for
years creating the affect that a correct bug fix in one place would
break something else.

Until the reboot paths are correct and consistent things will continue
to break, in weird and unpredictable ways, that will keep us all
hunting weird strange bugs for a long time.  I think the S4 suspend
case is the last code path that needs to be fixed.  It is certainly
the last one I am aware of.

Eric