Re: [ANNOUNCE] DSFS Network Forensic File System for Linux Patches

Diego Calleja wrote:

El Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:27:47 -0600,
"Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> escribió:

NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the linux
kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

So, that means that DSFS runs on userspace? (We can't see the source
so it'd be nice to know how DSFS works)

Also, I'm curious about this piece of code on your patch:
ftp://ftp.soleranetworks.com/pub/dsfs/datascout-only-2.6.9-06-28-05.patch

-		printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: module license '%s' taints kernel.\n",
-		       mod->name, license);
+//		printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: module license '%s' taints kernel.\n",
+//		       mod->name, license);

I mean, nvidia people also use propietary code in the kernel (probably
violating the GPL anyway) and don't do such things.

I disagree with the language and the characterization that our proprietary user application code is "tainted."

Jeff