Re: THE LINUX/I386 BOOT PROTOCOL - Breaking the 256 limit

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

Hello Peter,

I am sorry that I am contacting you directly... Please refer me to correct contact if you are not the one.

Lately, I've found that 256 bytes long kernel parameters are not enough for my configuration. I've found the place where the kernel defines the length, I've actually found it in two places... I cannot understand why...

include/asm-i386/param.h: #define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 256
include/asm-i386/setup.h: #define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 256

Now... I've added an entry in the kernel configuration menu so that I can define these constants using menuconfig.
I was quite happy...

But then I've got into a discussion with grub's development team...

From what I've read in the Documentation/i386/boot.txt I understood that if I use boot protocol 2.02+ there should be no reason for 256 byte limitation on the string pointed by the cmd_line_ptr, so I guessed they will deliver the command-line twice once for the old protocol truncated, and once for the new protocol not truncated.

Grub and Lilo approach is to point the cmd_line_ptr to the old protocol's command line, thus truncating it to 256.

I'm just wondering... Can the 256 limit be broken, without modifying the boot protocol?

I think it can... But I need a formal answer so I can push it forward.

Yes, it can. Several people on the SYSLINUX mailing list have tried this, and it works just fine. The current version of SYSLINUX has a limit of 511 characters (because of memory management reasons inside SYSLINUX) instead of 255 (plus null).

I think someone on the SYSLINUX mailing list already sent a patch to akpm to make 512 the default; making it configurable would be a better idea. Feel free to send your patch through me.

	-hpa