tty problem

Hi all,

I have a peculiar problem with the kernel messages being printed during startup.
During startup the messages are printed only uptill the monitor
(screen) gets filled, the screen doesnt scroll down and no further
messages are printed. However the computer boots normally, and I get my
graphical desktop when X starts.
Moreover  moving to tty1 (CTRL-ALT-F1)  doesnt give me anything, but
mingetty program is running on tty1.
Booting in single user mode, the same problem persists. I cant see
anything after the screen gets filled.
Does anyone  know where is the problem??
Thanks in advance.

nilesh