Re: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Rogier Wolff wrote:

It IS some "home phoning" and "spy software". However, when the
goal is to sign you up for more direct marketing, people tend to
object. When the goal is to keep track of running kernels, I'm
hopeful that people will recognise that this is different.

The problem is that people made bad experiences with home-phoning software in the past. Changing their opinion about this issue isn't easy I think. I can almost see the headlines: Spy software found in recent Linux kernels... :o)

Although home-phoning can be useful under certain circumstances it is the wrong way to implement it in a kernel. IMHO a userspace tool is the better solution: Everyone can decide if he/she wants to report what kernel version is running on their systems.

A trick to use would be to send an UDP packet at boot (after 1 minute
or so), and then randomly say "once a month" (i.e. about 1/30 chance of
sending a packet on the first day) The number of these random packets
recieved is a measure of the number of CPU-months that the kernel
runs.

This could be a sloution but like you know UDP packets may or may not arrive the destination address. So the packet loss with this method could be very high, expecially if you send only one packet. Using a TCP-connection for this is a lot more stable and the payload can be encrypted too.

Once again: I think this is a userspace task.

Sven