Re: Linux 2.6 context switching and posix threads performance question

Group replies work best with mailing lists.

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 14:30 +0200, Mateusz Berezecki wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Well the obvious question is: what kernel version and which thread
> > library?
>
>   Ah, sorry I just forgot to put this info
>
> Linux blade1 2.6.12 #1 SMP Tue Jul 26 08:43:57 GMT 2005 i686 Intel(R)
> Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> the cpu is with HT so Linux thinks there are 4 cpus on board
>

> > 2.4 with LinuxThreads might have severe problems. However 2.6 with NPTL
> > should be able to handle it, IIRC Igno once did a million threads with
_Ingo_ Molnar that is; I really should have gotten those 4 letters in
the right order by now, humble appologies.

> > that combination just to show that it worked ;-).
>
>   Yes, but how about switching contexts and the performance impact?
> Will it slowdown the whole system or just result in low or medium
> overhead?.
> These threads are meant to be running an intensive network connection
> and possibly analysing the dataflow and maybe filtering some stuff.
> Each thread doing the same task.

I think it should work; however I'm not the most qualified to answer
this.

--
Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]>