Re: kgdb on EM64T

George Anzinger wrote:
Wilkerson, Bryan P wrote:

Thanks you Tom and George for the tips on using kgdb with
2.6.13-rc4-mm1. I almost have it working but kgdb seems to have a few issues. I can get
it running from the dev machine using the kgdb and console=kgdb boot
options on the test kernel.  The kernel waits as it should and when I
attach with "target remote /dev/ttyS0" and I can continue the boot but
eventually it gets to a point in the boot where it frees unused kernel
memory successfully and then a warning, "unable to open an initial
console",  followed by, "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill
init!"

Removing the console=kgdb boot option and the machine boots all the way
to run level 5. I tried to break into kgdb at this point using the $echo -e "\003" > /dev/ttyS0
from the dev machine but the test kernel panics at gdb_interrupt+75 when
it receives anything on the serial port.  Hmmm...

I'm wondering if I'm maybe just the first to try this on EM64T (kernel
builds in the arch/x86_64 tree).

Possibly:). Since the serial port seems to work (i.e. the first test above), the fault seems to be in handling the int3. Is int3 the right instruction for this machine? If not you would make the change in kgdb.h. I think that is the only place it is defined.

Well, I checked, it is "int $3". Why then the panic? If you try the boot with kgdb (i.e. wait) and the do:
(gdb) disass gdb_interrupt
What do you find at +75?

--
George Anzinger   [email protected]