Re: 2.6.12 Performance problems

--- Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:34:14AM -0700,
> Danial Thom wrote:
> >
> > --- Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not always true.
> > >
> > > Imagine a slow computer with a GBit
> ethernet
> > > connection, where the user
> > > is downloading files from a server that can
> > > utilize the full
> > > network connection while listening to music
> > > from his local disk with
> > > XMMS.
> > >
> > > In this case, the audio stream is not
> depending
> > > on the network
> > > connection. And the user might prefer
> dropped
> > > packages over a stuttering
> > > XMMS.
>
> > Audio connections are going to be
> windowed/flowed
> > in some way (thats how the internet works) so
>
> I was talking about an audio stream coming from
> a file on the
> "local disk", IOW something like an mp3 file.
>
> But the most interesting thing about your email
> is not what you were
> answering to, but which part of my email you
> silently omitted. Since you
> are not answering questions that might help to
> debug the problem you
> claim to have, it seems your intention is not
> getting a Linux problem
> fixed...

I don't think I'm obligated to answer every
single person who pipes into a thread. People who
say "show me your config and dmesg" are not
useful. Linux has long had a philisophical
problem of dropping packets as a "performance
feature", and we've already established I think
that you can't eliminate it altogether, if you
read the thread carefully.

Also, if you're on a slow machine you can't
download faster than your machine can handle it,
because the "server on a gig network" can't send
faster then you tell it to, not matter how fast
it is. You'll never overrun a machine with 1 or 2
or 5 connections. Having a clue how things work
is important.

DT