Re: [RFC - 0/9] Generic timekeeping subsystem (v. B5)

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> I'm having a problem with your wording: NTP _does_ control the "system time"
> (system clock), because it's the only clock it can use. The "reference time" is
> usually remote or elsewhere (multiple sources). Local NTP does not control the
> remote reference time(s).

I'm open to better wording suggestions, but this is from the kernel
perspective and ntp daemon has as much control over the kernel time as the
remote server has control over the ntp daemon (and basically also the
other way around). Every entity has its own idea of time and uses
something else as reference. The ntp daemon uses the remote server as
reference time and the kernel gets from a ntp daemon a reference time. The
kernel can now either just jump in regular intervals to that reference
time or it modifies the speed of the system time to keep close to it.
It's really the kernel who modifies the system clock based on the
parameters from the ntp daemon.

bye, Roman