Re: 2.6.12 Performance problems

Patrick McHardy wrote:
Danial Thom wrote:

None of this is helpful, but since no one has
been able to tell me how to tune it to provide
absolute priority to the network stack I'll
assume it can't be done.

The network stack already has priority over user processes,
except when executed in process context, so preemption has
no direct impact on briding or routing performance.

Well, NAPI puts a lot more of the packet processing in
process context, including the code that would do routing
I believe.

To give networking more priority, you can re-nice the ksoftirqd
process(es) to a high-priority level like -18 or so.

You can also reserve more memory for the networking stack
and increase the size of the permitted buffers.

I am also interested to hear how your system responds to compiling
w/out PREEMPT.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>