Re: 2.6.12 Performance problems

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 13:10 -0700, Danial Thom wrote:

> None of this is helpful, but since no one has
> been able to tell me how to tune it to provide
> absolute priority to the network stack I'll
> assume it can't be done.

History has proven that camp wrong almost 100% of the time.

You were told to turn off kernel preemption.

A diligent comparison requires that, since 2.4 does not support kernel
preemption, and a fair comparison requires holding all other things
constant.

In addition, there were several IP-level features mentioned in emails,
that have been added to 2.6.

You need to make sure those are all off by default, to keep your
comparison relevant.

All the answers are before you, review those emails, turn all that stuff
off and retest.