Re: PROBLEM: Incorrect RAM Detected at kernel init

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 11:27:51PM -0400, Terry wrote:
> Not sure if I have provided enough info, or to much info, but here it goes:
>
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> Not Detecting all the memory installed in the system.
>
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> I have Linux Kernel 2.4.31 running on a Compaq 5000R server with 2 PPro 200
> processors, 768M RAM, RealTeck 8139 Network Card, and Compaq Smart 2 Raid
> controller with 5 9.1G drives in Raid 5 configuration.
> The kernel appears to compile perfectly, installs fine, but after reboot it
> is only reporting 16M of RAM. I have tried with and without the mem=768M
> boot up option in the lilo.conf script. All other modules and boot up
> includes appear to run perfectly fine. I had a 2.4.18 kernel running on this
> box just fine, detected all 768M of RAM and ran perfectly. The 2.4.31 Kernel
> runs almost perfectly, the only hold back is the false detection of memory.

Compaq machines of that era are known to have non standard bios methods
for identifying ram.  Do a google search for how to pass memory maps to
2.6 kernels on a compaq.

ie something like:

mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=1023M@1M

Add that to the kernel command line when booting and see what happens.

Len Sorensen