Re: 2.6.12.5 stalls on boot

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, j.t. holmes wrote:

> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:42:47 -0400
> From: j.t. holmes <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: 2.6.12.5 stalls on boot
>

> 2.6.12.5 and others below that to 2.6.10  stall on boot. The problem is
> udev.
>
> It stalls between 1 to 3 minutes.

Just a data point...

I haven't had any prolems what so ever so far at 18 hrs.

I just installed it yesterday on an Athlon XP 3200+ w a nvida 2 chipset

Distribution is Slackware 10.1

I am running W$ XP Pro under VMware 5 & have interminently heavy NFS
traffic.

I compiled 2.6.12.5 w gcc v3.3.4.  Did you by any chance build w gcc v4 ?

Cheers,
johnh

> I have the latest
>
> udev
> hotplug
> klibc
>
> u name it
>
> Something happened about 2.6.11.X and I see others writing about
> similar items
>
> The base system is Suse 9.2  and I am beginning to wonder if
> there is something that Suse wrote that is interferring w/the boot.
> Since they shipped 9.2 with a 2.6.8-24 and there have been a lot
> of changes up to 2.6.12.5
>
> In any case the  boot  stalls  just after it prints these two lines
>
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
> input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio4
>
> and about 2 mins + -  later it prints this
>
> EXT2-fs warning (device hda6): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem
> as ext2
> and then continue normal boot
>
> I sent in  an  ALT SYSREQ  P  and T  trace a few weeks ago
> but didnt get an answer.
>
> Am I incorrect in assuming that everything up until the root disk is mounted
> is primarily kernel activity? If not then where else can I look.
>
> I can provide any info desired.
>
> Just in case this is Suse related I am going to load  9.3  early next week
> and compile  2.6.12.5 on it and see it I encounter the stall problem. I will
> post the results from the activity.
>

> -

John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
[email protected]
http://www.sc-software.com