Re: sched_yield() makes OpenLDAP slow

Nick Piggin wrote:
 Robert Hancock wrote:
> I fail to see how sched_yield is going to be very helpful in this
> situation. Since that call can sleep from a range of time ranging
> from zero to a long time, it's going to give unpredictable results.

 Well, not sleep technically, but yield the CPU for some undefined
 amount of time.

Since the slapd server was not written to run in realtime, nor is it commonly run on realtime operating systems, I don't believe predictable timing here is a criteria we care about. One could say the same of sigsuspend() by the way - it can pause a process for a range of time ranging from zero to a long time. Should we tell application writers not to use this function either, regardless of whether the developer thinks they have a good reason to use it?

> It seems to me that this sort of thing is why we have POSIX pthread
> synchronization primitives.. sched_yield is basically there for a
> process to indicate that "what I'm doing doesn't matter much, let
> other stuff run". Any other use of it generally constitutes some
> kind of hack.

In terms of transaction recovery, we do an exponential backoff on the retries, because our benchmarks showed that under heavy lock contention, immediate retries only made things worse. In fact, having arbitrarily long backoff delays here was shown to improve transaction throughput. (We use select() with an increasing timeval in combination with the yield() call. One way or another we get a longer delay as desired.)

sched_yield is there for a *thread* to indicate "what I'm doing doesn't matter much, let other stuff run."

I suppose it may be a hack. But then so is TCP congestion control. In both cases, empirical evidence indicates the hack is worthwhile. If you haven't done the analysis then you're in no position to deny the value of the approach.

 In SCHED_OTHER mode, you're right, sched_yield is basically
 meaningless.

 In a realtime system, there is a very well defined and probably
 useful behaviour.

 Eg. If 2 SCHED_FIFO processes are running at the same priority, One
 can call sched_yield to deterministically give the CPU to the other
 guy.

Well yes, the point of a realtime system is to provide deterministic response times to unpredictable input.

I'll note that we removed a number of the yield calls (that were in OpenLDAP 2.2) for the 2.3 release, because I found that they were redundant and causing unnecessary delays. My own test system is running on a Linux 2.6.12.3 kernel (installed over a SuSE 9.2 x86_64 distro), and OpenLDAP 2.3 runs perfectly well here, now that those redundant calls have been removed. But I also found that I needed to add a new yield(), to work around yet another unexpected issue on this system - we have a number of threads waiting on a condition variable, and the thread holding the mutex signals the var, unlocks the mutex, and then immediately relocks it. The expectation here is that upon unlocking the mutex, the calling thread would block while some waiting thread (that just got signaled) would get to run. In fact what happened is that the calling thread unlocked and relocked the mutex without allowing any of the waiting threads to run. In this case the only solution was to insert a yield() after the mutex_unlock(). So again, for those of you claiming "oh, all you need to do is use a condition variable or any of the other POSIX synchronization primitives" - yes, that's a nice theory, but reality says otherwise.

To say that sched_yield is basically meaningless is far overstating your point.
--
 -- Howard Chu