Re: VIA USB Controller - (Wrong ID) ??

Hello,

19.08.2005 20:53, Jesper Juhl wrote/a écrit:
I've just noticed that my USB controller(s) show up as having "Wrong
ID" and now I'm wondering what exactely that means and what I can do
about it  (kernel 2.6.13-rc6-mm1 in case it matters).

Is it a wrong PCI ID? If so, how's the controller recognized at all?

I stopped by http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii// which had an entry saying :

0925	VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID)
    	Wrong ID used in subsystem ID of VIA USB controllers.

I've never heard of this before. However, cheking the list shows that every vendor which has a "Wrong ID" entry also a normal one. So my guess is that "wrong ID" means that somewhere in the process of putting the PCI ID (during the design of the device) someone mistook which ID to put. So this would mean that your device doesn't have the official ID of VIA, but it uses an unofficial one (famous enough to be listed though). Nothing to worry about.

:
00:04.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0
controller] (rev 16) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller

Can anyone explain this to me?     The controllers are working just
fine, so it's not too important, I'm just a currious nature :)

Well, as I said before, it's just pure guess, but it's cool to invent stories ;-)

Eric