lost ticks and Hangcheck

Hi,

I'm running kernel 2.6.12.5 with x86_64 target on an AMD X2 4800+ and Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard (bios version F8). I'm having a problem with lost clock ticks. The dmesg says

warning: many lost ticks.
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts

Also if I enable hangcheck, then I get a huge number of Hangcheck messages in dmesg.

The main other symptom is that the system clock runs fast and inaccurately. It seems to run more inaccurately when I'm using the CPU, and be basically OK when idling.

I've tried various workarounds that I found suggested on this list and others but the problem is still there. I tried using noapic, turning on RTC interrupt, also no_timer_check. I also tried patching the CPU frequency scaling code with the latest version from the AMD website (1.50.03), and then finally turning that option off. Nothing helped.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the kernel or if I'm just doing something incorrectly. Any thoughts or suggestions, or if is a bug then ETA for a fix, would be much appreciated.

I'm not a regular subscriber to this list, so please cc any responses directly to me.

thanks very much,

Nathan