Re: Linux under 8MB

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 03:41:30AM +0530, Imanpreet Arora wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>               For the last couple of days, I have been trying to set
> up linux kernel under 8MB. So far I have set up a linux 2.4.31, which
> just works under 8MB. However, I would be grateful if someone could
> help with the following queries
>
> a)          Is linux2.4 just the right option? What about linux 2.0.x?
> Or for that matter even <2.0

The more interesting case would ne a recent 2.6 kernel with

  General setup
    Configure standard kernel features (for small systems)

enabled and appropriate options below this option selected.

> b)          What are the specific issues that are to be considered
> while compiling an old kernel on a newer setup? I ask this because I
> compiled my current setup on a 2.6.11 machine and while doing "make
> modules_install", I got errors from depmod[%], complaining about
> depmod.old.  I had to kludge my way through by setting up a link from
> depmod.old to depmod.

What userspace do you want to use on the 8MB machine?
You need a userspace that supports such an old kernel.

> [%] Not to mention that on a FC4 machine, gcc 4,x meowed  while
> compiling the kernel.

gcc 4.0 is not a working compiler for _any_ kernel below 2.6.12.

> TIA,

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.