get_start_sect() NOTE HOW?...

Dear all,

Sorry for the MOST silly question in this list.
I am mailing it here as this related to kernel.

I am writing a block driver for MMC interface.
In the HDIO_GETGEO ioctl, the hd_geometry structure is filled.
I have doubt updating the 'start' field of the hd_geometry structure.

I am doing the following to get it.
geo.start = get_start_sect(inode->i_bdev);
What is the start expected to point to? Is it the start of FS?

When I looked at the get_start_sect(), I found it is trying to pull out
the data from the "bdev->bd_part->start_sect".

Do I need to handle any thing before this to get the proper start value.
Or Is it taken care in the upper layers?

Can you please explain if is it any way wrong if I hard-code start to
'0'?

Regards,
Mukund Jampala