Re: libata PATA todo list

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Since there's been some recent interest in the subject, I thought I would post the PATA todo list for libata. Some of these items are from my memory, and some are from a list Alan was kind enough to create. The items verbatim from Alan are prefixed "Alan: ".

2) Simplex DMA

PCI IDE specification has a 'simplex' DMA bit, which should be tested. Simplex means that only one command can be outstanding, for BOTH port0 and port1, at any given time.

Possibly some hosts also need Simplex DMA, but may not assert the standard PCI IDE Simplex DMA capability bit. I don't know.

I remember using devices which require this. Not recently.

4) Alan:  Command filter

Alan -- explanation?

I know one line item here, at least: Promise controllers snoop SET FEATURES - XFER MODE command. We must stop command processing on ALL ports when this command is issued, to avoid corruption.

The last time I tried, cdrecord was allowed to burn the first session of a multi-session CD as a user (with correct device permissions) but not to read the multisession info (current ISO size) to burn another session. I haven't tried it in the last few months, I changed my script to do something else. However, it really should work.

I will test this if you like, but I'm on 7x24 coverage this week and 7x24 vacation after that, so not soon.

10) ATAPI DMA alignment (discussed elsewhere)

Needed even for PATA, AFAICT.

Thanks for keeping the list!

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])