Re: Atyfb questions and issues

Op Mon, 15 Aug 2005, schreef Jim Ramsay:

> Of course.
>
> How about the replacement for 'xlinit.c' I have attached here?
>
> I noticed that the big difference between what the 2.4 kernel and 2.6
> kernel did is that the 'var_to_pll' (and its component functions) in
> 2.4 did a lot more probing than that in the 2.6 kernel.
>
> So I copied the relevant 2.4 bits for non-i386 archs, and replaced the
> call to 'var_to_pll' with the "new" stuff.
>
> This seems to work for me.  Enjoy!

I don't know what the purpose of this patch is but it copies the pre-LCD
version of the code in mach64_ct.c into the xlinit.c code of 2.6. This is
not the var_to_pll code. This code affects the display fifo and can
cause wrong image if incorrectly programmed, but has nothing to do with
initializing the chip.

The pre-LCD code caused several problems for both i386 and
non-i386 laptops, and should not be reused. Also, Geert Uytterhoeven
has said that he developed the pre-LCD by trial and and not by
design. The post-LCD code is derived from the XFree86 driver, it is
supposed to work fine if X works.

Daniël Mantione