Re: starting a user defined daemon at linux startup.

Thanks Sumit, I did it in the same way as ur first solution.
it worked.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, sumit kalra wrote:

Hi Manohar,

Yes, you need to put a scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
which would invoke your daemon. You should provide
options in this script to start/stop this daemon and
fetch it's status etc. Please look at any other script
there - for example nfs. The daemon binary can be
placed anywhere, say /usr/sbin or anywhere else. If
you put this startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d your
daemon will be loaded at startup.

Another thought on this one: If you put your commands
in rc.sysinit, they are executed at startup so you can
start your daemon from there as well. It should work
but I don't think that is the correct way to do it.

Regards,
Sumit

--- "P.Manohar" <[email protected]>
wrote:

Hai
   I have written a daemon, and it is working when I
load it.
   Now I want to start that daemon at startup in
linux, so that without
manually running , it has to start along with all
the daemons available
in the system. I came to know that we need to put a
script into
/etc/rc.d/init.d/
similar to sshd or atd. Do we need to write a script
to run my daemon?

I have the daemon's binary, what should be the
script content to run it .

But my daemon is just a single executable, is there
any othr way to do
this.

Thanks In Advance.
P.manohar.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line
"unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at
http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs