RE: NCQ support NVidia NForce4 (CK804) SATAII

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:54:35 +0000, Allen Martin wrote:

> Likely the only way nForce4 NCQ support could be added under Linux would
> be with a closed source binary driver, and no one really wants that,
> especially for storage / boot volume.  We decided it wasn't worth the
> headache of a binary driver for this one feature.  Future nForce
> chipsets will have a redesigned SATA controller where we can be more
> open about documenting it.

That is disappointing. I was seriously considering a motherboard with your
chipset because of its impressive specifications, but now I have to
reconsider (I'm one of those folks that never bought an nVidia graphics
board due to the lack of open full-function driver). I _hate_ not being
able to use all features.

Any chance your company will reconsider? Are you in a position to make
that decision? Is there a VP I can write to (politely) to support the case?

I don't understand your reluctance in this case (I do for your graphics
processors) - it's not as if adding this function to sata_nv would
expose your crown jewels - you write yourself that next time you'd use a
different (better) interface...

Regards, Willem Riede.