Resolved?: Via-Rhine NIC, Via SATA or reiserfs broken, how to tell??

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:43:31 +1000, Grant Coady <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi there,

Problem was dataloss on extracting kernel source, sometimes only
one character changed.  Details on

  http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/sempro/

Not the NIC, not reiserfs, not the kernel config, not even the
SATA data cable...  Not make sense :o)

Dataloss seemed to be the buffered memory copy of the tarball,
but this box also compile several hundred kernels in a session
without a problem.  It also locked up after 4 1/2 hours compiling,
at that time I thought a kernel config change fixed the issue.

Solution?

Set BIOS memory timing to manual, thinking perhaps BIOS sometimes
not read SPD EEPROM correctly, 'cos it was like I had bad memory
only sometimes, reboot, memory okay, next day maybe something bad
again.

I'll be extracting source tarballs twice and diff for some time to
be sure.  Built the box in March, it sometimes locked up, I'd do
some ad hoc kernel config adjustments and carry on.  This time I try
to methodically nail the issue and got nowhere with configuration
changes.

Does BIOS not setting memory timing properly sometimes sound like a
reasonable explanation for the fault?  Extracted about 100 tarballs
without error.  Currently running 2.6.13-rc6-git5 which produced
heaps of errors before I attacked the hardware, reseating memory
modules, AGP card and adjust the BIOS settings.

Grant.