Re: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts

On Aug 13, 2005, at 20:57:45, Alan Cox wrote:
   I have "setxkbmap -symbols 'en_US(pc102)+gb'" in my ~/.xsession,
and « and » are available as AltGr-z and AltGr-x respectively.

Most keyboards don't have an AltGr key.

You must be an American. Most old the worlds keyboards have an AltGr
key. You'll find that US keyboards have two alt keys to avoid confusing people (like one button mice ;)) but the right one is understood by the
X bindings to be "AltGr". Even though the US keyboard is apparently
lacking functionality its purely a text label issue

And those of us who are Mac OS X oriented have patched our console and X
keycodes to match the mac way of generating symbols:

Alt-\        = «
Alt-Shift-\  = »
Alt-Shift-+  = ±

If only someone could come up with a good character palette like exists
on that OS, something that could generate a wide variety of keysyms,
preferably all of UTF-8, and send them to the topmost window.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop them from doing clever things.